I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Sketchcrawl 12


Driving the van and snapping a photo of the bay as I drove to the city. I'm late!

Weather Proof. That's what all the Sketchcrawls seem to be. Enrico and I don't have a crystal ball to check out the weather that far ahead. Come close to being rained out a couple of times. Come Saturday morning the low dark clouds weren't going away. But even with all the storm's hugger mugger the Sketchcrawler's luck held out, we didn't get rained on!

That is, not after all the Sketchcrawlers had done all the drawing to be had at the SF Zoo. Congratulations to all who made it! Everyone came bundled for the wind, rain and cold, clutching drawing books and drawing implements. I mean, a day like that is what sleeping in was invented for. But not us, really proud of everyone's drive to capture the day in drawing.

The highlight was the feeding of the big cats at 2 p.m. Man, those things are huge! The pictures don't communicate how massive these animals are. All that muscle and heft, scampering back and forth waiting for lunch and growling for seconds. This one was eyeing me as a snack as I drew him.


Look into my eyes. You are feeling very relaxed. So relaxed, in fact, that you want to climb into my cage after that drawing. Bring a friend or two while you're at it.

I didn't get much drawing done myself (I was an hour late. Heh, sheepish). But I was so ready for it. After all the pressures of the last few weeks I needed to get out there. This is my first time at the SF Zoo, and I must say it's a great place to visit (I made a note to come back and get sketches of those I missed). Nancy Lorenz sent us this collage she shot of these impressive specimens (the lion pic was hers, too. Thanks, Nancy!). Really good shots, the zoo should use this for a brochure or sumpin'.



Here's a few of my offerings. But do visit the Sketchcrawl forums for an update on how the whole world (seriously, I kid you not) did on the same day. Very good work, everyone!






Sketchcrawl Forum
Sketchcrawl Blog
My photo collage here.
San Francisco Zoo




Labels: , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Uncle Phil said...

wow. i love the lion drawing. you really nailed the expression. awesome.

2:12 AM

 
Blogger Tom said...

Great drawings!

I really need to participate in a Sketchcrawl soon. It seems like such a wonderful thing.

3:59 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

WOW Ronnie, these animals photo are as awesome as your drawings!! COOLIO!!

BTW, my book just come out today. Please come by my blog to check it out. :)

3:13 PM

 
Blogger Alessandra Sorrentino said...

those sketches are lovely.
keep it up ;)

10:33 AM

 
Blogger Jason Kim said...

I love the facial gesture on the lion!
Great draughtsmanship!

10:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home