I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Expo view


The corridors were full of attendees lining up for the talks. There was a dealer floor where all manner of how-to books on screenwriting could be sampled. And writing software, let's not forget. Didn't get to take as many photos as I wanted. Bumped into many L.A. friends, it was like a reunion.

Da Story. The Pixar day of panels were well attended and we had a blast doing the talks. My brother Louie made it, as well as friends Glen and Vyvan. I missed Andrew's talk but that's only because it was packed. Later that evening I had dinner with my son, Geo, who's already on his first year in UC Irvine.

The Pixar talks were not rehearsed and all resonated the same thing: The structure of leadership in the company revolves around the concept that Pixar's projects are director-driven. The movies are made by those storytellers. It starts there. Oh, by the way, its about story, story, story. Nobody knows everything and not everything is precise, being human after all. We all do the best we can. My view is that the company provides the conditions where making mistakes is not a career ending gaff but is viewed as par for the course in order for all to contribute openly.

Soap box off. Be well, all.


Animation Guild blog on Andrew Stanton's Keynote talk.
Random Anomalies post.


_________________

UPDATE. Jeremy Bernstein did caricatures of, well, almost anyone in sight. Check out his post on the day's activities. Below is his rendition of our Storyboard talk. Thanks, Jeremy. Romney Marino sent me a jpeg. Had to post here, hope you don't mind.



Cartoon Brew post about the drawings.
Captain Yolk blog



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ronnie!

Yeah, I missed it big time on this one. And on purpose too (my pockets just weren't deep enough for me to bank it.) But, reading all the posts on the event here and there, I'm glad that it was a blast. I can't believe the The 3 Trees & 3 Flowers show is only a week away, so it'll be interesting to see what kind of stories your pictures tell. Also, I've been a fan of Icco Sasai for a while, so I guess with a roster like that, it'll truly be an evening of masters and masterpieces!

Too much good stuff! 0_0


Best wishes for the show!
RĂ©gis

11:40 PM

 
Blogger monkeyfeather said...

Hey Ronnie,

It was good to see you at the Expo. All of the PIXAR panels/talks/whatever you wanna call them were great. You and Mark were particularily funny in the "Trust the Process" panel. I learned a lot from the whole day.

hoffman

8:28 AM

 
Blogger Nick Sung said...

Hm! Mistakes as par for the course...
That's a great attitude to have.

10:21 AM

 
Blogger Eddie Pittman said...

The Pixar day at the expo was an amazing event! I'm still trying to absorb it all. Thank you to all the Pixarians who were involved!

10:40 PM

 
Blogger Jeremy Bernstein said...

Hey Ronnie,

Thanks for the link and thanks for the inspiration. Looking forward to your next art opening. Cheers.

2:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home