I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Thursday, August 24, 2006

Visited a volcano. Having a blast.



Hike and draw. Taal volcano is about two hours away from Manila and not as angry as Mayon these days. Couldnt' fly to Legaspi City anyway with my schedules and this little beauty was quite accessible. The drive brings you to Tagaytay City where people with signs saying "boat to Taal" flag you down (be judicious and choose only Tourism Bureau sanctioned ones). The boat ride takes you across the fresh water lake (refreshing)for about fifteen minutes. You land on the island and go on a 45 minute hike...up. After huffing and puffing (you can rent a horse and guide for about $12) you end up at the lip of the caldera looking into the interior lake. What a grand view!

UPDATE Fixed--Movie clip of Taal here.



I attracted a crowd. Even this gentleman was curious about how I was going to draw what they see everyday. The gun was loaded. He was the local security person of sorts. Friendly, if rather loose with the decorum of his office.



After a few more drawings it was time to drink coconut juice and finally eat the coconut meat. Notice the improvised spoon made from a slice of husk.






Labels: , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Chad Kerychuk said...

Looks like you're having a great time!

btw...movie wouldn't work.

1:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ronnie,

Why are you wearing a black turtleneck in the Philippines?

2:44 PM

 
Blogger Amelia Lorenz said...

Glad to hear you're not in the path of that angry volcano...and that you're doing some sketches!! I'd like so see more if you have the time to show 'em.

5:37 PM

 
Blogger Louie del Carmen said...

Ah, good ole Taal Volcano... I had many an excursion there ages ago. That fresh coco is making me drool. Looks like a lot of fun bro.

... and yes, why the heck are you wearing a black, long sleeved, closed-neck shirt?!

Great to see pictures of home.

9:47 PM

 
Blogger Randeep Katari said...

wow...Ronnie, looks like an amazing place and amazing things happening...look forward to hearing more.
hope to hear from you soon
let me know if you got the pic.

-R.

10:41 PM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

Chad--Thanks for the heads up. I'll fix it once I get back. It was an awesome sight.

Anonymous--well, I went to REI to get some duds for this trip. They recommeded I get these shirts that breathe and draw sweat away from your body, then dries fast. Kinda like cycling gear. I tell ya, it works. It was cool. Used it in the jungle and it also saved my arms from being cuts--sharp leaves and vines.

I tried to draw every day and I do have a bunch. I will post them in the coming days. Thanks, Amelia.

Leetol Bro--ever been to the interior lake? I'll make sure I get a guide do bring us all the way down inside next time. The long-sleeved shirt, well, I'll get you one when it's your turn to go. You'll thank me for it.

Randeep--Pic? Been away from work and I've only checked email a couple of times. Be back by Monday.

All the best to all. It's been such an amazing trip I can't even beging to tell you. Next post--a canoe trip down a river from Apocalypse now and the falls at the end of that river.

R.

6:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are the next Michael Palin!

Looks fun!

Bob Logan

9:40 PM

 
Blogger Louie Escauriaga said...

Beautiful Philippines!

9:27 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi ron

hey havent change a bit since when, college?!
Great to see you again pare.

6:59 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

WOW!! That looks like a fun trip!! And beautiful watercolor painting!

9:32 PM

 
Anonymous Bobby said...

Thank you for wwriting this

3:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home