I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Miss Pas Touche by Kerascoët



An artist's name is sometimes all you have to go on. In these google days one is just several clicks away from finding people. Well in this case, "people" is right. Turns out that Kerascoët is not the name of an artist but TWO artists. Namely, Marie Pommepuy and Sébastien Cosset. The choice became necessary when their collaboration was faced with signing both their names (a CD, Anita O' Day) and possibly taking up much of the cover. So, they decided on naming themselves after Marie's parent's village in Brittany.



How did I come to be digging up the goods on these two? Well, I came across this book online, "Miss Pas Touche" and was enchanted by the cover. I found the above mentioned mysterious name and came around to the their website. Man, oh, man, what a treat that was. Now, I really gotta get my hands on that book. I raved about it with Bill Presing and he was similarly struck. He wasn't as lazy as I and found that Amazon Canada had a listing for it. The book arrived and it is every bit as gorgeous as the cover and website portended it to be.



Above panels cropped from the twelve (count 'em) panel layout of your regular bande dessinée album. And there's rather racy panels that give away story. See, I'm watching out for you.

So, I'm obsessed (thought of stealing Bill's copy but he may not like that) and so I ordered it. Can't wait to have my very own copy. Still can't read french, but what the heck, eh?

Kerascoët website.

France Wikipedia entry on Kerascoet.

Les Kerascoët on auracan.com.


Oh, by the way, there's a connection between Joan Sfar of the post below and this dynamic duo. Guess? Okay, check this out. NOTE: Although it's a music video, drawn and quite charming, it is not for kids. Be judicious.



Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

i'm a reader of your blog for some month, i really enjoy your way to draw, and your caracter looks very good.
(arg, i'm french, not easy to write correctly in english ...)

i'm so happy to read this post, i also had done a very short article on my blog about this comic (that i like so much).

if your interrest by this kind of "nouvelle vague" (<-hum!) comics, there's a lot to read in France (and so many are not avalable or spray on internet),i can send you some pictures from my collection, to show you more.

i have try to find your comic in Paris, but it didn't seems to by sprayed here.
how to do to order?

Renaud

http://20six.fr/lenono

12:37 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, these are some really lovely drawings. Brittany eh? I lived there once, but was too little to remember much. Then again, it's some of those earliest memories that really stay with you. Seeing art like this and Joann Sfar's certainly have a familiar tone with me. Thanks so much for sharing, and now onto Amazon Canada!

Regis

4:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ronnie,

When I look at these illustrations as well as the video (yes, I am over 18++), I see the power of the internet. There is so much cross fertilization as art becomes a reflection of art as there is so much material posted. Some of drawings almost looked like your Ronnie girls.

There is one thing that it is not transparent nor transferable. It is the color keys which is more deep subconscious and cultural. The video has unique color which is dominated by a particular brown. In your case, orange, yellow and green dominate your artistic landscape.

Thanks for sharing. I am really broadening my appreciation either by your, Enrico's, or Ted M posts

cK

11:11 PM

 
Blogger Uncle Phil said...

Wow~! This stuff is amazing, thanks for posting. I say you should just go ahead and steal the book from Bill. He'll survive. In fact, the keyboard I'm typing on was stolen from him. Eat that Presing. (and say hi to him for me)

thanks again,
Phil

9:31 AM

 
Blogger A. Riabovitchev said...

Amazing illustrations!:O)

11:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home