I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Pablo Velarde


Original art by Pablo Velarde, pencil and watercolor.


Fishes and Bicycles. Pablo and I have been corresponding for...what is it, a couple of years now? Man, time flies. I've been very bad at my end of corresponding and even worse at mailing. Mr. Velarde had sent me a package that included a whole treasure trove of his amazing books, comics and original art. What a treat. My meager offerings are a pittance by comparison (maybe that's why I've procrastinated, though not intentional).

His work has the very assured style of one who's perfected his craft. The lines are exquisitely sliced onto depicting the figures and seemingly effortless. The page below is a scan of a page he sent me, see for yourself. Ink and Watercolor. No Photoshop or Painter. Actual media, man!


Click on the image to get to a larger image.

Pablo is contemporaries with Jose Luis Agreda, "I make up 50% of all the illustrators in my town. The other 50% would be Agreda." That town being Sevilla, Spain, where he was born. Today he rides bicycles (mostly flat, lucky guy) and plays adoring dad to his daughter Olivia. I googled his name once and came up with a picture of a Pablo Velarde doing the tango. I quipped that this was the only image I found but surely this can't be you right off? As it turns out, that was him! Apparently he's quite the dancer, to add to his many accomplished talents. He's been a good correspondence friend, as well as a very patient one. I'm getting to that package, Pablo. I promise!


Mongolia Comix




4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Pablo, he is the master, for sure.

1:11 AM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

Oh, you two. Both of youse are masters at what you do.

I found pictures of you both on the internet by Mauro Entrialgo in Barcelona Salon 1999 (Pablo told me what it was).

Even told me about the rationale to "Fishes and Bicycles." Came from the expression, ""A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle."

And Mongolia Comix came to be because that's where he imagined all the lost Fed ex packages sent to him end up.

Thanks for the post!

R.

3:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind contacting Pablo if that's possible. I wrote two English versions of a script for him when he was here in New Zealand and published one in black and white. Can you be of any assistance?

Cheers,
Cornelius

6:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My e-mail address is soothdotcorn@hotmail.com.

6:46 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home