I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Thursday, October 19, 2006

Screenwriting Expo 5



Billed as The World's Largest Conference and Trade Show for Screenwriters, The Screenwriters Expo 5 started today and will go on for the rest of the weekend. I'm going. Actually, I'm part a panel on Saturday about Feature Animation Storyboarding.


4:00 PM TRUST THE PROCESS PANEL: A CONVERSATION WITH PIXAR STORY ARTISTS
Just how do they do it? Just how does Pixar come up with consistently touching, funny, endearing stories? Join four of Pixar’s top story artists as they ponder their navels and wonder the same exact thing. Mark Andrews, Jim Capobianco, Ronnie Del Carmen and Jason Katz will walk you through the story process at Pixar, reconfirm the painful truth that story is hell and settle once and for all what exactly is under a Scotsman’s kilt. (Event #1280)



Clockwise from upper left: Mark Andrews, Ronnie del Carmen, Jason Katz, Jim Capobianco. Story supes. As in, supervisors. In other words, whipping boys No.1.

These are the blokes who'll be going through the above mentioned items ( I hope we never get to the kilt subject). I couldn't be prouder to be serving with these guys. Stand up guys ready to clobber a story reel into shape.

Well, actually the big guns, Andrew Stanton, Brad Bird, Lee Unkrich will be there as well as a whole gaggle of other Pixar folk who'll be expounding on how this high wire act of writing animated features is done--Pixar style. See the roster here.


Screenwriters Expo 5
Marriott LAX and The Renaissance Montura LAX.
The travel page for locations.



7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck - heading out to LA this weekend for the expo also and am much looking forward to your collective wisdom!

3:13 PM

 
Blogger Mr. Scribbles said...

It was great hearing you speak and the others speak. Inspiring stuff.

8:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back Ronnie! You're definately the best looking out of the esteemed Pixar story quartet :)

2:16 PM

 
Blogger Meesimo said...

Cheers and thanks to you and your fellow Story Artists. It was quite an enjoyable and informative day of Pixar-osity. A little exhausting, but probably not half as tiring as it was for you guys. Anyways, all the best!
-Meesimo

6:21 PM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

Craig--That weekend was informative and educational for me as well. I missed Andrew's Keynote. It was packed.

Mr. Scribbles--thank you for attending. Hope we can do that again.

Anonymous--Awww, shucks. Youse makin' me blush. But, seriously, I sure am glad this isn't a beauty contest. I'd be selling blemish removers door to door if I had to go on looks.

Meesimo--I was tuckered out at the end of the day, too. But it was good, I had a blast at the panel. Mark and I kinda ranted and hollered a lot, eh? Thanks for the support.

r.

8:09 PM

 
Blogger Josh Book said...

Hey Ronnie, it was great seeing you guys talk and meeting you in person. Thanks for taking the time to come down here!

10:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ronnie, Thanks again for the day of info. It was fascinating learning some of the process and just as interesting witnessing the interaction amongst the Pixar crew. Quite a few people left that room envious of your working conditions! :) Andrew's keynote was indeed excellent - hope you get to watch the video. Thanks for signing my daughter's sketchbook - she was thrilled. -Craig

3:25 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home