I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Chihiro Tanaka: Waterbrush inventor



Necessity does it again. Chihiro Tanaka wanted to do something and what he wanted didn't exist. So, he improvised. Excerpt from the very imformative Russel Stutler website:

Chihiro Tanaka, the man who is credited with inventing these. He used to empty the ink out of regular brush pens and fill them with water. Then he included photos of these modified tools in his books on watercolor sketching. Some of brush pen makers realized he was on to something big and started to produce these brush pens with translucent barrels and no ink, calling them waterbrushes (mizu-fude)


A proper demo of the brush from da man himself.

Picture of the man.

Page of thumbnails of How-to books on the waterbrush. All in Japanese unfortunately.




7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Ronnie, thanks for this tip. It's a very smart inventioin, I'll try to get one. I can't wait to try it.
I think that would be perfect for little sketchbooks. :-)

1:44 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man! The world of waterbrushes is much more complex than I thought! Thanks for the links. Very informative indeed!

Regis

10:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't seen these before, but I've ordered one of each size from the link you provided. I look forward to playing with these!

10:42 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

WOW!! Coool .... I use the same watercolor brush for years now .... love them. HA ! HA !! You use the same tool too!! COOOL!! I am picky with my watercolor, have to use Winsor Newton ... Those brush are really cool. I learned about those brushes years ago from my drawing teacher, Glenn Vilppu.

11:14 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

For people located at LA area, you can get those brushes at Graphaids - they have one in Santa Monica and one in Culver City. :)

http://www.graphaids.com/

11:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog, I'm happy to have stumbled upon it. Going to have to try out that brush I have never heard of that befor. I also really love the idea of your sketch crawls. I'll have to organize one here in Michigan with the CCS students when spring rolls around.

2:04 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The waterbrush and watersoluble crayon sets are still being carried by Dick Blick

http://www.dickblick.com/zz202/05/

12:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home