I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Monday, April 04, 2005

In Gerald Hiken's living room


Drawing of the moment. Under a dark cloud. My own creation, I understand.

Read a passage of Proust given as a take home from a living room performance at the home of Gerald Hiken. It was such a gift, that night. To hear and see the performance of this man's craft in his own living room somewhere in Palo Alto. My Sunday was that much calmer--and needing it lately--because I was recounting the evening as I re-read the passage from Marcel Proust's "Swann's Way."

"And as soon as I had recognised the taste of the piece of madeleine soaked in her decoction of lime-blossom which my aunt used to give me (although I did not yet know and must long postpone the discovery of why this memory made me so happy) immediately the old grey house upon the street, where her room was, rose up like a stage set to attach itself to the little pavilion opening on to the garden which had been built out behind it for my parents (the isolated segment which until that moment had been all that I could see); and with the house the town, from morning to night and in all weathers, the Square where I used to be sent before lunch, the streets along which I used to run errands, the country roads we took when it was fine."




I can describe it this evening myself but others have done it better already. Palo Alto Weekly article by Robyn Israel from October 22, 2004.

My thanks to Pete Docter for our drive over and impromptu (we were late and chowed like they were giving medals) and Mary Coleman for herding us to Gerald's world.



3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Del Carmen, I would like to take this time to submit to you that, in my eyes, you are like the James Bond of animation. By that I mean, well..., your recent posts involve you going to an art outpost in BC, having your own gallery show, and taking in some theatre in an actor's living room, AND, to top it all off, work at Pixar. Honestly if you posted that you just bought a rocket car, I wouldn't be at all surprised. I say all this with humor and admiration, of course. I'm glad you're kind enough to share these things, it really motivates and inspires everyone in and around comics and animation to push for lofty goals, and have a blast doing it. Thanks.
j

1:00 PM

 
Blogger Chad Kerychuk said...

Hahaha! That's great!

8:32 AM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

J--Oh, my, James Bond now. Thank you so much. I demure in the face of such comparisons, even when compared, funny enough, to The imperious icon of gallivanting spy panache. I can really appreciate that.

I am, in reality, the anti-thesis of the above. More like some of the tinkerer drones in Q's gadget shop. I make stuff for the real James Bonds of animation like John Lasseter, Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter.

At the risk of sounding maudlin, I'm inspired by the people I meet and just glad for the time I can spend with them. If I can point more people to whomeever inspires me then the cycle is carried forward.

Having a blast is a prerequisite, of course.

R.

11:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home