I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Saturday, July 07, 2007

The Terror of Olivia Neutron Chan III


Olivia delivers a flurry of pain dealin'. That Roverbite sure was a charming pooch. Funny, too. He had to go. All images except for the compendium link to larger views, so zoom in.

Pray you are not in the blast radius. Sam Hiti's tournament of drawn fighters, Fist-a-cuffs, is a great idea because it is simple. If you were ever a kid and you had this escalating argument about who would win in a fight between King Kong and Godzilla then you know how this game works. I love the tag line.

"Fist-a-cuffs. Where drawings are voted to the death and the streets run black with ink."

Sam had called for this to be the first full-color Fist-a-cuffs. Invited artists were enjoined to "bring your 'A' game." And the new catch this time would be that no one can know who drew the fighter. No popularity vote based on the creator's rep, no brand-name recognition (in the previous FACA's this was exactly the case). This time the drawing will have to stand on its own merits.


This is Olivia's full figure glossy. She's unused to cameras as you can see.

Olivia Neutron Chan III. She has molten plasma for blood, a nuclear furnace for a heart which in turn powers her destruction-geared limbs. She fires lasers, missiles, and blares through her Mach3 Valkyrie speakers the chilling songs of her namesake, Olivia Newton John--annotating a path of ironic carnage to burbling, vein-rupturing effect.

Olivia was done by migrating between Photoshop and Painter--I'm not familiar enough with Painter to just do it all there. This is also a side of my work no one sees a lot. "Dad, that is so scary. I don't think anyone could tell this is you," my daughter Gerin says as she cringes. That's the idea.


A compendium of Smak Talk visuals from ONCIII's battles. An Assault arabesque, if you will.

Well, she fought hard and well until it was down to her and Red Raja. I must admit, if I wasn't in this myself I would have voted for that tentacled lobsterman from the east myself. There sure was a groundswell of support for the old mullusk head. Olivia was going to have to rely on her ferocity and toughness to win the crowd and hope for the best. In the end it was a valiant close to a short, head-stomping career. My thanks to all who voted for her and phooey to all of you who didn't. All hail The Chan!

Here's one more visual of The Olivia on the warpath.


Olivia likes to sing while she works. This lyric is from "Physical." Pandemic got the groove eventually. Oooh, that had to hurt.


Links:

ONCIII vs Baby Killer
ONCIII vs Roverbite
ONCIII vs Pandemic
ONCIII vs Red Raja





Labels: , , , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger pbcbstudios said...

A valiant effort ONC 3 - That Smack talk was great but, I share your pain when it comes to the Red Raja.

11:27 AM

 
Blogger monkeyfeather said...

She's great Ronnie. Even better, I have no idea that was yours! I thought I did an okay of masking my style with Viking Arm, but I obviously need to push it more next time. Red Raja is a tough competitor.

1:02 PM

 
Blogger MIKE THOMAS said...

Thanks for the nightmares! :D
I had no idea either, thought she was great though... that battle with roverbite was just brutal. Raja has that save the day thing going for him, can't wait to see what happens with Dewey.

8:02 AM

 
Blogger Sho said...

UoooooooH Olivia-neutron-chan!
fantastic desuneeee :)

12:39 PM

 
Blogger El canibalibro said...

REALLY BRUTAL !!

11:02 AM

 
Blogger Ted M said...

I HAD NO IDEA!!! Ronnie, she's great!

6:47 PM

 
Blogger Marco Hasmann said...

Really impressive! or should i say scary?

cool eitherway!

11:26 AM

 
Blogger Dave Dick said...

Haha I love it! Great movement in your work, too!

11:02 PM

 
Blogger Cyree said...

This stuff is really cool

12:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home