I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Oh frabjous day, callou callay! Sketches from the weekend.



I did more drawings. But still not as much as most of the Sketchcrawl horde. I'm enjoying the sketchbook scans of those who did the crawl this past Saturday posted on the Sketchcrawl forum. Congratulations all! Here's mine:





I thought of doing some photoshop colors on the pencil ones but decided that a watercolor wash on them at a later date would do them better. Keeping this purely non-digital. The one with the stumpy palm trees is proving great for research on a story I'm working on. The guy on the bicycle was not in the composition when I started, he wandered into it as I was doing the color wash and made for a better composition. The same happened to the tall tree against the sky one. A couple sat under its shade and made the image even more interesting. Love those great breaks.


The two ladies laying on the grass were instant subjects for all the crawlers. Actually, Sketchcrawlers make excellent subjects as well. They hold still for quite a bit of time and only shift to a new one when they finish their drawing. Long enough for you to finish yours.

This final one was done at the end of the day at the Japanese Tea Garden. We wandered in and I immediately had to go over that arched wooden bridge--the one that requires very long legs to span the steps--for good luck. I found this scene and relaxed into my final drawing of the day. Ahhhh.


Allabove drawings done outdoors, actual media: pencil, watercolor, Northern Californian sun and air. Does it every time.

I found some bloggers who did the crawl (one was with us in SF, and one from Canada). If you've got a blogpost of your sketches from the Skechtcrawl, just leave me a comment (please to leave a URL to link to) or write me an email so I can add a link on this post to your blog. Here's two to start:

The Firehouse Stomp
Go Gecko Girl

And the list continues...

Monkey Feather
The Iron Scythe
G. de Dios Sketch Journal
Laurent Beauvallet
Blob[p]:Gastrono-Me
Lydia Velarde
Pittsburgh Sketch
Elisa Chavarri
The Art of Erik blog





Labels: , , , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Jason Newkirk said...

those are beautiful sketches Ronnie, thank you for sharing those. I really like all the watercolors, really nice work man.

~jason

11:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice california air makes great crawls!!
These are great. The tree with the couple is my fav.

4:00 AM

 
Blogger Nick Sung said...

Hey Ronnie-so great to see your sketchcrawl work!You've done a great job of giving everything presence, character and appeal, really simplifying things so they're clear. That middle tree reminds me of Rockwell Kent! and your garden I really like.

Nice stuff sir, and many thanks for the kind linkage.

5:17 AM

 
Blogger monkeyfeather said...

Hey Ronnie,

Great sketches. It sure was a treat getting to flip through your sketchbook at the end of the day. I like the contrast you were able to get in your watercolours. I was having trouble getting that in my own work that day. I guess that's what next time is for.

I have a blog with some photos and sketches from the crawl...

monkeyfeather.blogspot.com

john

6:12 AM

 
Blogger Gerald de Dios said...

I'm always amazed at your generosity to let us look over your shoulder and ask you questions. Your sketches are just superb! I really like the tall tree against the sky, especially the shadows on the trunks.

12:54 PM

 
Blogger Chad Kerychuk said...

Awesome work as always! The greenery is especially fantastic!

3:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ronnie,
Beautiful work, my favorite is the one of the fellow sketch crawlers (that tree with the couple is just great too) Here is the link to mine http://www.xanga.com/item.aspx?user=echavarri&tab=weblogs&uid=334632633

3:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted the wrong link, it's http://www.xanga.com/item.aspx?user=echavarri&tab=weblogs&uid=336857950

3:05 PM

 
Blogger Amelia Lorenz said...

Those are fantastic sketches Ronnie!
Thank you for putting my blog on your site!

a

PS
No, I'm not related to Lee Lorenz... but his artwork looks familiar, I think I've seen it before... Thanks for the nice email :)

3:26 PM

 
Blogger Eat2Live - Michele said...

Perfect California Palms - Reminds me of California in the '60s

3:09 PM

 
Blogger Erik James Olsen said...

Hey Ronnie, Very cool of you to link blogs for the sketchcrawl... here is mine from the sketchcrawl...
http://www.theartoferik.com/blog/2005/08/well-this-last-saterday-was.html

I love your approach on the way you rendered the palm tree. erik

3:42 PM

 
Blogger J said...

Beautiful stuff Ronnie, Thanks again for the link.
Keep setting the bar high!
j

7:44 PM

 
Blogger Hadibi @ gndagnor said...

Hi Ronnie~ XD Your drwaings have always inspired me~ It's great to see all these group drwaing sessions :D Me and my friends now are doing a weekly life drwaing class thingy in hopes to be as great as artists within and out side of Malaysia :D

6:26 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Your blog is very nice!! Love the artworks

9:37 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home