I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Friday, June 13, 2014

Miracleman #7 Variant cover


No banners. Click image for larger view. With cover logo you can go here.

Supreme honor. When George Beliard of Marvel asked me to do a cover for the re-issue of Miracleman I couldn't believe my luck. I had to find a way to read those early issues and it took some hunting. I picked this issue when Miracledog shows up. I know, it's a chance to draw that monster but more than that it was the most compelling issue of them all. The most dramatic stakes--in movie terms it's your end of the second act when all is lost. Love it. If you haven't read Miracleman I strongly suggest you pick up this new, amazing re-issue. Before this there was no way you could get your hands on this continuity other than plunking hundreds of dollars for its original American run.

I thought of James Bama's covers for the Doc Savage paperbacks as inspiration. Those were powerful images. Miracleman does not have busting-at-the-seams muscles. He's more like a slender Paul Newman "Cool Hand Luke" build. Behind him I can place Miracledog who is mucho sinewy and lethal looking. Did many thumbnails but the quiet pose of an unstoppable god in front of a demon dog felt right for the story. After a pencil rough was approved I did several value and color studies. One digital and one with the actual gouache paints. Cutting the guesswork when I get to final is such a gift.



But even with all that prep I ran into some problems. My full-sized pencil when transferred to illustration board lost just enough fidelity that his face looked funny. And I only noticed that after I've already done a base color wash on him. I had to do some fixing. Maybe a lot of fixing. If his face is not right then the whole thing is a do over. In the end I felt that I needed to finish the whole thing in Photoshop--sparkles and value adjustments. It was not the smoothest of projects but overall I had a lot of fun making it. Hope you like it.



Labels: , , , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Maka Merghart said...

Wow! That's really nice! I can't stop looking at it :)Love it .

8:18 AM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

Thanks, Jeff. It was an adventure to make. Glad you like it. Keeping limber is hard to maintain if you're not making covers as an ongoing concern. So I had a long, slow run up to creating it. Thanks for posting!

12:57 PM

 
Blogger Frozen Juegos said...

I found a lot of information here to create this actually best for all newbie here. Thank you for this information.
Signature:
Jugar juegos de frozen en línea gratis, los nuevos de princesa de Disney juegos frozen - la princesa encantadora y linda. Divertirse frozen!

2:04 AM

 
Blogger Whatsapp Descargar said...

I am happy to find this post very useful for me
Signature:
download free descargar whatsapp and download baixar whatsapp online and descargar whatsapp gratis , baixar whatsapp gratis

12:49 AM

 
Blogger iniciar sesion facebook entrar said...

Thank you for that information you article
Signature:
facebook entrar iniciar sesion gratis - Sitio Oficial iniciado sesión en Facebook lengua española. facebook entrar rápido, facebook iniciar sesion en tu cuenta de entrar facebook

2:12 AM

 
Blogger games unblocked said...

What a great online source of information about this topic. you have done great work. keep continue to sharing such kinds of post. keep it up.
Signature:
The place to play all unblocked games 77 online. Here you can find every blocked games such as: unblockedgames , unblocked games happy , unblocked games 77 , Garry's Mod

11:56 PM

 
Blogger Anh Mai said...

This is a great article. It gave me a lot of useful information. thank you very much.
Signature:
Versión en facebook en español descargar a los países hablan Español: facebook entrar direto agora , facebook en español para and facebook entrar direto

2:27 AM

 
Blogger Shubham Sapkal said...


Rugby World Cup 2015 Schedule Point table
Rugby World Cup 2015 Schedule Point table
rwc england rugby world cup 2015
rwc england rugby world cup 2015
fixtures world cup rugby 2015 pdf file
fixtures world cup rugby 2015 pdf file

4:20 AM

 
Anonymous jasa pasang aluminium kaca said...

terima kasih informasinya

11:16 PM

 
Anonymous rental mobil murah solo said...

artikel yang sangat menarik dan bermanfaat

9:13 PM

 
Anonymous harga wallpaper said...

jadi nambah informasi nih gan makasih yah

8:59 PM

 
Anonymous Five Nights At Freddy's said...

Thanks for giving me the useful information. I think I need it!
Happy Wheels , FNAF World , Five Nights At Freddy's

12:57 AM

 
Anonymous baixar facebook said...

O baixar Mobogenie gratis ainda dá a possibilidade de levar todos os dados do computador para seu celular. Graças a seu simples sistema de transferência de arquivos, você pode mudar imagens, vídeos, músicas, planilhas e até outros arquivos.
Desde 2015, a rede social permite-lhe designar um herdeiro para a sua conta do baixar Facebook gratis. Claro, isso não vai ser capaz de publicar o seu nome, apesar de realizar ações como mudar a foto do perfil ou aceitar pedidos de amizade.

3:21 AM

 
Anonymous aplicativo facebook said...

Thank you posting relative information and its now becoming easier to complete this assignment
-------------------
Signture: facebook movel - baixar whatsapp gratis - mobogenie

7:45 PM

 
Anonymous diep.io said...

You guys that is a great explanation. keep up the good work in your granite blog. Thank you very much!
------------
Signture:
Diepio - unblocked games - big head football

3:11 AM

 
Blogger Duc Tung said...

Công ty chúng tôi là nhà phân phối chính thức các sản phẩm sắt thép xây dựng.
Với kinh nghiệm nhiều năm trong lĩnh vực phân phối phẩm sắt thép xây dựng, chắc chắn sẽ mang lại sự hài lòng cho Quý Khách!
Đến với công ty chúng tôi, Quý khách sẽ nhận được giá thép xây dựng cạnh tranh nhất, sản phẩm chất lượng, uy tín nhất. Để biết thêm thông tin chi tiết quý khách hàng vui lòng truy cập vào website: Thép Hòa Phát để tham khảo:

9:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home