I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Friday, April 19, 2013

Making a Marvel Comic book Cover



Wolverine Costume Variant cover for Marvel. A few months back Marvel asked me if I was interested in doing another variant cover for them. I did an Iron Man one before and I was looking for another shot at a cover. What's that you say? It would feature Wolverine? WOULD I?!

They were planning on doing a set of covers to feature the life and times of our favorite adamantium enhanced mutant. I immediately zeroed in on the Patch persona. Why? I had not read those stories that was set in Madripoor so I had no attachment to it. What did it was the look. I am a big fan of the paperback covers of Robert McGinnis and Mitchell Hooks. This was a chance to try my hand at it.

A quick round of thumbnails first. I find that I solve big design problems right off that way. Once I had the ideas narrowed down I test it again in color. These thumbnails are about an inch wide. It keeps me from noodling. I did two versions though I thought I liked the first one already. I just had to make sure that I'd be happy to do either version regardless. Marvel liked the one I wanted. Yeah! That starts another round of prep and solving design problems. That's for the next post.


I mocked up the image against a Wolverine banner just to see what clearance I needed for the banner, whatever book the cover might appear in. Marvel didn't know at the time. Now we know It's for Uncanny X-men #7. Lucky! Love that book.




Labels: , , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Michael Yates said...

Whoa really digging this! I love the style and cant wait to see the final.

I recently came upon your your batman black and white contribution and cant stop looking at it! Great stuff

11:01 PM

 
Anonymous Charlie said...

Great illustration Ronnie.

Thanks for showing us your process. Really interesting. Can't wait to see the finished result!

7:27 AM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

Thanks, Michael. I remember making those pages so long ago, when we just moved into the Bay area to work for Pixar. Surrounded by boxes and cramped in a small, unheated home office. I had a blast drawing those pages. Paul Dini's story was fun to begin with and he always let me do whatever I want.

Charlie, I hope you like the way it turned out. It's all a mind set. Mostly training to think and experience your choices. It helps me stay on target. I can do better next time out now that I've learned from making this cover.

8:08 PM

 
Anonymous Model Gamis Pesta Brokat 2015 said...

Hey, just looking around some blogs, seems a pretty nice platform you are using. I'm currently using Wordpress for a few of my sites but looking to change one of them over to a platform similar to yours as a trial run. Anything in particular you would recommend about it?

8:28 AM

 
Anonymous produsen furniture jepara said...

terima kasih infonya

5:29 PM

 
Blogger marwa said...

شركة تنظيف بخميس مشيط
شركة تنظيف مساجد بالرياض
شركة جلي بلاط بالرياض
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالرياض
شركة عزل خزانات بالرياض
شركة عزل اسطح بالرياض
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شركة تنظيف بيارات بالرياض
شركة تسليك المجاري بالرياض
شركة تنظيف المسابح بالرياض

8:20 AM

 
Blogger marwa said...

شركة تنظيف واجهات حجر بالرياض
شركة تنظيف واجهات زجاج بالرياض
ارخص شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
ارخص شركة تخزين اثاث بالرياض
شركة نقل اثاث بخميس مشيط وابها
افضل شركة نقل اثاث بخميس مشيط وابها
شركة مكافحة حشرات بالرياض
شركة رش مبيدات بخميس مشيط وابها
شركة رش مبيدات بالرياض
شركة مكافحة الحمام بالرياض

8:42 AM

 
Blogger Leo5 said...

Charlie, I hope you like the way it turned out. It's all a mind set.

How To Use Back-Up TA Tool

10:31 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Do you realize there's a 12 word sentence you can say to your man... that will induce intense feelings of love and impulsive attraction for you deep within his heart?

Because hidden in these 12 words is a "secret signal" that fuels a man's impulse to love, please and look after you with his entire heart...

12 Words That Trigger A Man's Love Instinct

This impulse is so built-in to a man's brain that it will make him work better than before to build your relationship stronger.

Matter-of-fact, triggering this powerful impulse is so important to achieving the best possible relationship with your man that the second you send your man one of these "Secret Signals"...

...You will immediately find him open his heart and soul for you in a way he never experienced before and he'll perceive you as the only woman in the universe who has ever truly interested him.

7:38 PM

 
Blogger qoya said...

The tank cleaning company in Dammam pays great attention to the method of storing water and keeping it free from pollution, because it realizes how important it is to keep water clean and free of germs, which helps prevent the spread of diseases, and this famous company in this field uses the latest methods and means to reach a high degree in cleaning Reservoirs.
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالدمام
شركة تنظيف خزانات بالاحساء
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالدمام
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالاحساء
شركة كشف تسربات المياة بالقطيف
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالخبر
شركة عزل أسطح بالدمام
شركة عزل اسطح بالخبر

شركة تعقيم بجدة
شركة تعقيم بالدمام

7:25 AM

 
Blogger Best Services said...

Your book cover idea looks very fantastic. You have done a lot of work on your cover. Please share more ideas. Now it's time to avail Hi Vis Hoodie for more information.

1:56 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home