I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Thursday, June 23, 2005

Project Superior



Adhouse Books makes good books. Quality, I mean. Joel Priddy's Pulpatoon Pilgrimage, Scott Morse's Southpaw, James Jean's Process Recess, Project Telstar, and now, Project Superior. I was very impressed by Project Telstar's collected stories and the book's physical qualities were high end. Of course when Chris Pitzer invited me to contribute to Project Superior I agreed readilly. There's been a lot said about the collection that's very positive. Okay, I'm soft-pedalling that, I demure when it comes to declarative self reference-even though I'm a mere one among many in the book. I could go into my favorites but..here's a sampling of opinions on the book and the individual stories.

Link.
Link.
Link.
Link

No wonder I jumped on the chance to be part of it, check out the names of the creators in it. Being sandwiched among these names is quite the honor. My offering was a larger story that I cut down to the six featured there. "No Prize" is indeed somewhat autobiographical--I can only wish then that I had explosive lazers shooting out of my eyes. Growing up in the my Philippines of typhoons, floods, scary catholic priests and nuns, uncertain family fortunes, political upheavals in a dictatorship, coalescing into something more benign: A benign memory. I one can hope at least.

The house represented was our house and I approximated the streets (they were much narrower). I can still see the new owners in my mind but to tell you honestly, I don't have any memory of leaving the house at all. I've tried to summon the mind pictures but all I have are forced images that's more invention than recall. Singed those cells good. So, what better way to honor the childhood than with a few comic book pages about it, eh?




I think the collection is pretty much sold out and Adhouse will likely not reprint this anthology or the previous one. Those of you who got a copy, well, yer lucky. It's rare now. Chris Pitzer will be at San Diego and we'll be holding a panel of some of the creators on the book on Thursday, July 14, 2005, 1:30-2:30 p.m. Scott Morse and I will be there among others from the book who've signed up for it. Come by and say hi.

Adhouse Books




4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

HI Ronnie, (E)rik here, Your comic looks great... I thought you might like too know about this...

http://www.animationpodcast.com/

Oh yeah, Do you and have any more of the fragments book for sell?
thanks in advance,
erik olsen

4:52 PM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

Eric,

Glad you like the books. Do you have a copy? Fragments, we just reprinted. And I do know about the podcasts. Congratulations! Haven't waded in though. But I will.

If you're going to Comic-con drop by and make sure you mention Animation Podcast--my mind will be puree by about Thursday of that week.

Ronnie

11:03 PM

 
Blogger Erik James Olsen said...

COOl...let me know how to order one of the fragments books....
I have question, What printer do you use? Is it in the bay area?
thanks,
erik

2:40 PM

 
Blogger Amelia Lorenz said...

Hi Ronnie,
When I saw the poster for One Man Band I noticed your name at the bottom! I haven't seen it yet but I really want to.

amelia

8:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home