I watched a lot of cartoons and movies. I draw incessantly and carry a sketchbook everywhere. I work in animation and self-publish my books. There are monsters in the streets, don't wear red. Mad bulls and monsters hate that color. I still watch cartoons.

Monday, March 09, 2009

Paris Gallery Images


Images link to larger version.

Different approach. I was very happy to have a past inspiration grab hold of me again for the Paris gallery show. I remember walking into the L.A. County Museum back in the early nineties to the abstract expressionist rooms and come face to face with my first Robert Motherwell painting. I walked past it actually, there was so much to gawk at: Mark Rothko, Franz Kline, Helen Frankenthaler...but I found myself coming back around and standing in front of one of the "Elegies for the Spanish Republic" series.

I kept coming back to it years later, bought some books I would leaf through occasionally. Like skimming. Or not wanting to be completely pulled in. I know nothing about abstract expressionism nor am I able to even attempt anything close to it. But it did make me want something about it.



The "Verses" series was an aspect of the Nina story and she stands in one universe and seem to converge on another. Thus the contraction from multiverses to "Verses" which also had the welcome correlation to children's book verses. I had just completed a children's story book then and still had that mode operating. So, there it goes.

I like watercolor when viewed up close so here's a link to a detail.




Labels: , , , , , ,

13 Comments:

Blogger kalonji said...

its beautifull ronnie ;-)

2:39 PM

 
Blogger Justin Hunt said...

Thanks for sharing these. They are gorgeous.

4:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ronnie,

Does this mean that you will return to posting regularly on your blog? If so, please keep it up.

Your "Paris" show pieces are wonderful. I like how the shapes/colors interact with the elegance of figures. Also, thanks for posting about the inspiration. There is a special thing of artist talking aout other artists. It is learning for me.

cK

8:00 PM

 
Blogger Kei Acedera said...

These are so lovely! I love the sapes! Can't wait to see your children's book!

8:08 PM

 
Blogger ice caps said...

hi sir good day...isaw your picture and i can't help but wonder if you are a PINOY too? by the way your works are really good!!!

9:33 PM

 
Blogger Claudio Acciari said...

Ronnie, this is one of the most inspiring thing I ever seen in internet since ages. Totally grateful for posting!

4:52 AM

 
Blogger the doodlers said...

oooh so very good. Thanks for showing these, Ronnie. The Motherwell influence is there in the strokes of the brush and the moving shapes, and yet the pieces stand on their own. I like too the way Nina floats toward and at the same time away from the shape-y dimensions.
~Arna

7:25 PM

 
Blogger Ronnie said...

JP--You've seen these already. You have an advanced preview version of "And there you are." I have the release version. Send me an address?

Justin--How are you doing? Thanks for checking in.

Charles--Thanks and glad to see you at Wondercon. I am trying to keep with my posts. I have a lot still from the Parist trip.

Kei--thank you. I love it. My first one. I hope there's a second. Good to see you guys at Wondercon and Paris.

Icecaps--I am from the Philippines. I grew up there. Thank you for the compliments.

Claudio--you made my day. Quite an honor coming from you.

Arna--thank you. Good to hear from you. How are you guys?

7:21 AM

 
Blogger krutitwa Dhal samanta said...

sir,
ur all the stuffs are amazing,i have always been a gr8 fan of urs.actually its difficult for me to give comments to all ur pieces individually coz all are awesome.u rock......

2:58 AM

 
Blogger the doodlers said...

Hi Ronnie,

Very well thanks. Better now that light is lingering with the season change. Drawing storyboards everyday, ~John is writing, playing music. Needing to put the brush to paper. You've inspired us both. (^_^)

7:05 PM

 
Blogger Erredé said...

Greats

4:33 AM

 
Blogger rochelle del carmen said...

hey Ronnie;

Hope all's well with you and your family.

I sent you and Louie a copy of a write up that was posted by a friend of mine on Facebook. I am not sure, however, if you gentlemen received it.

At any rate, CONGRATZ on your success at the CANNES FILMFEST. I saw a pix of you when you were at Cannes, and I was wondering if I could share that in FB....

Best Regards.

Thank you,
Rochelle ..\m/..

2:20 AM

 
Blogger hadi tabasi said...

great works
i love pixar artists
congratulate

5:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home